Wednesday, August 1, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the article, "The Main Course, Not Dessert."  I love this analogy!  While I was reading, my mind drifted back to the years I taught first and second grades.  I always did projects with the kids, but unfortunately, most of them were done as just projects and not anything like the PBL approach.  Sadly, most of my projects were "dessert." :(  I wish I could go back and do those years all over again!  The main course described in this article includes all of the PBL essential elements.  The examples that were given of projects that have been done in particular schools definitely show what is engaging for the students and what they can really accomplish.

I'm super excited about implementing the PBL approach with my preschoolers.  I will be sure to plan engaging activities, allow them to problem solve without jumping in so quickly to solve problems for them, and I will do more of allowing the students to work along the way and not wait until the end.

I will need parent participation, support and understanding, time, patience, community involvement, and certain materials to make PBL a main course in my classroom.

My response to my colleagues when asked about my PBL intentions will be this:
PBL is an approach that I'm excited about implementing with my students because I believe that the essential elements of PBL speak to the WHOLE CHILD, and allows them to be critical thinkers and creative all while learning and applying the basic skills they need to be successful people.  Through this approach, I intend to instill in my students (at this early age) that it's about the PROCESS, not the PRODUCT.
Then, I'll drop the mic (just kidding, not kidding)  :)   

   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tieraney,
    Like you I began my pbl journey with an understanding and an application that was more "dessert" than "main course" but it was necessary for me to start with what I knew then and build understanding and capacity through professional development as well as continuous implementation to a an approach that provides students with ongoing opportunities for application and critical thinking.
    I am glad that you are excited about implementing your pbl experience and appreciate the many ways you have worked to include your students' parents in the journey and the learning. I firmly believe that parents are our students' first teachers and we owe it to our students to involve and inform their parents in ways that support and engage and equip them. Your unit is a wonderful opportunity for that. I loved your mike drop as well! #processmatters :)

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete