Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Crossley - Day 2 HW

I love the idea of PBL being the "main course." So many times I've taught this whole unit and then served up, what I thought, was a totally awesome "dessert" project, just to hear moans, groans, and sighing form the entire room. I was personally offended. By using PBL and taking the "main course" approach, I believe I will hear more excitement throughout the entire unit/project. I really want to incorporate the 80/20 model in order to ensure PBL is always the main course.
I'm a little nervous about how I will respond to colleagues who ask me about PBL. My administration is super supportive, but some coworkers not so much. I, personally, love a chance to improve - so much so that I often bite off more than I can chew. I've been teaching 14 years now, but still look for better ways to do my job. What do I tell the teacher who is "old school" and claims what he/she has done for the past 84 years has always worked?Or the teacher who is fresh out of college and doesn't have time to change what they've just finished learning about teaching? Or, how do I respond to the teacher who doesn't like change or is close to retirement and doesn't want to change over to PBL? I know I don't have to say anything, but I find myself on a committee now, so it seems inevitable that I will have to sell PBL to others.

6 comments:

  1. I too am a little nervous about those who will ask me about PBL. I am, obviously, all for it, but being able to explain PBL to my coworkers is something that I know I'm going to have to work on. I believe though that through the students' work, excitement, and learning that will occur, PBL will sell itself. Perhaps we should write an elevator pitch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Marie: It's been a great two days being around a group of teachers who want to do more and will do what it takes for their students but...the reality is that is not the case across all our coworkers. My theory is never apologize or change my ways if it's good for the students. Like any classroom, sometimes it's just one or two students that distract us from learning when the majority of the students are there to work and learn. We can't let one or two co-workers distract the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Helen that PBL will sell itself! Once other teachers see the cool projects and excitement your students have over learning, they are going to want to come into your classroom and see what is going on! Word definitely gets around when something great is happening in a classroom, and if they ask you about it, just tell them to come see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say exactly what Jessica and Helen said. Other teachers will be begging you for your lesson plans :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    The 80/20 model fits perfectly with pbl. This concept suggests that in every lesson, 80% of the time spent should be students applying the concepts presented independently (with support from the teacher/as facilitator) and 20% of the the time should be spent on direct instruction. This workshop model ensures that the unit is supporting student work.
    You discussed how you were a little apprehensive about sharing pbl ideas and plans with your colleagues. I can understand this. One of the best ways I know to solicit buy in from others is not necessarily with words but with student results. One of my favorite quotes that illustrates this is by St. Francis of Assisi "Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words." The proof of any effective practice is in it's outcomes. Implement pbl this fall and the increased student engagement, the relevancy of their work, will elicit questions and interest from your colleagues way more effectively than any presentation.

    ReplyDelete