Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Lindsey Harris-Day 3-Video #2

Video #2
  1.  What is the value of assessing how students perform their group roles?
Diversity among a group can be twofold:  on one hand it can bring new ideas and innovative thoughts OR it could bring conflict and challenges that can be hard to work around.  By giving students roles, it is allowing them to work with their strengths or possibly a chance to get out of their comfort zone and try something new.  When assessing students you can give positive feedback or validation in what they are doing.  It can also allow for students to see where improvements can be made or areas that they can focus.    
  1. How does the teacher, Mr. Jupp give feedback and guidance specific to each group?
I felt like Mr. Jupp was able to give feedback in a positive way, which supports the autonomy of the group atmosphere he is trying to keep within his classroom.  He made sure to talk to each group about what they were doing and reminded them of their roles and responsibilities.    
  1. How does peer assessment give ownership of the learning to students?
First, let me just say that I love this idea!  I have found that students are much more critical than I am sometimes when it comes to grading.  I also feel that by students assessing their peers, individual students will work harder.  Peer pressure is a powerful thing and I really liked how they used this for a positive learning experience. 

Consider the Profile of a South Carolina Graduate in terms of world class knowledge, world class skills, and life and career characteristics.  After viewing the videos, explain how PBL and collaborative group work fits the criteria identified in the profile.  Add your response to our blog.

As a second grade teacher, I am preparing my students for future careers.  This is a statement I didn’t think I would ever make at the beginning of my teaching career.  Now I realize the importance, and nurture these skills so students can gradually grow into the professional they are meant to be.  One way I can do this effectively is by continuing to provide a collaborative work environment that promotes critical thinking, creativity, communication, self-direction, and work-ethic.  By implementing Project Based Learning into my classroom I feel my students will flourish.    

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lindsey,
    I am glad that you love the idea of peer feedback and I am also glad that today when we experienced peer feedback through critical friends protocol you were able to see the benefit of this for your students as well. I appreciate that you see how even in second grade we are preparing our students for the future and utilizing collaborative work effectively can help our students become effective communicators and collaborators. I know from our work together previously that you already do this in many ways with your group work and I am excited about what you will implement with peer feedback this year!

    ReplyDelete