Monday, July 25, 2016

Jeneane Allgood's post 7/25

I found this video very inspiring and totally on point with what we learned about today.  In the age of standardized testing for everything, schools sometimes view children as a "one size fits all" sort of model, which is unfair to them.  What PBL does is to allow students to investigate and explore topics related to questions that they have about the world around them (that ties directly to standards being taught).  PBL also recognizes that the outcome or final product from different students may be different, but that doesn't make it lesser in quality.

My vision of a PBL classroom is one in which a simple observation can inspire students to investigate why a phenomenon is happening around them. An example of one that I already do is to bring in a leaf that has changed colors (to orange or yellow) and ask them why it does this and how it relates to the processes and pigments of photosynthesis that we have already discussed. It forces them to dig deep and find ways to explain a complex phenomenon in a way that works for them.  So, not only does everyone learn in different ways, but while one person may choose to do a powerpoint (to help them explain what they have learned), another person might be more comfortable making a model to demonstrate their knowledge, while yet another student may choose to do some detailed drawings and explain them.  I try to give students options when it comes to explanations so that they can really use the gifts they have been given.

I will continue to encourage kids to dig deep to answer their own questions. I am here to foster, guide, and help along that journey, but I want them to really make the connections.  The hardest part for me implementing PBL is time.  I have to move really fast in AP Bio in order to cover all of the topics that I need to, but there are still units in which PBL will be extremely useful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeneane,
    I am glad that you found the Ted Talk to be relevant and inspiring. I felt it reinforced the project based learning concepts we talked about in class today.
    You shared in your blog post how you like to begin your pbl units of study with an investigation that leads to a driving question - the leaf inquiry example - This is a great way to lead students to creating their own question (the subversive teaching that Mrs. Stancil talked about this morning). I am glad that you are already finding opportunities for pbl in your existing AP Bio units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Marie: I can understand how a semester is really tight on time. We have 90 minutes all year to complete a course. I can't imagine cutting that time in half. I'm sure you will find a way to make PBL work as appropriate :-)

    ReplyDelete