Thursday, July 28, 2016

Crossley Day 4 HW

1. Critical Friends helps teachers just like it helps students. Today, and throughout the week, whenever I presented my project or part of it, the "I wonder" statements were what helped me the most. And this has just been the planning stage of it all. I would love to do what the group did in the video with my colleagues after my PBL unit and then after every unit (since I'm so ready to do everything this way)! Criticism, when given in a caring and noncompetitive setting, is invaluable no matter your profession.
2. Together time would need to be worked into our schedules on a regular basis. This could be after school for high school teachers (same subject) or during planning periods (multi-disciplinary). Using staff development days would not be enough, and they are not guaranteed in upstate SC after Christmas.
3. Critical Friends could be used multiple times throughout a unit, but definitely towards the end when students are preparing for their "final product/presentation." However, time must be given afterwards to revise before the big due date.
4. I would like to use the 4 box synectic, building consensus, chalk talk, feedback nightmares, gallery walk, and critical friends. I would take part in these as well as occasionally conference with students.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I am glad that the critical friends protocol you experienced yesterday was helpful for you and for your colleagues and you can see how it could also be successful with your students. I agree with you that the "i wonders" are the most effective part when they are used to fuel growth. I love your idea of using this with your colleagues and I appreciate how you are considering using protocols throughout your pbl unit with students so they receive ongoing feedback.

    ReplyDelete