Sunday, July 31, 2016

Final Reflection: Shanna Pittman

Shanna Pittman: Final Reflection
PBL Summer Course 2016
EDCI 671

       Making the decision to take this course was a big one for me, mostly, because I had to leave two children at home every day for a week to make the daily trek to Dorman. However, my children survived and I could not be happier that I decided to take the course. When I saw the e-mail in my inbox this Spring announcing the course I thought, "Wow, that's something I would enjoy!". I love teaching integrated units but I knew there was something missing, something I could do better. This PBL course answered that burning question, "What can I do to make my instruction more engaging and meaningful for my children?", and so much more! This course was exceptional in teaching how to plan and implement a true PBL, how to facilitate learning in your classroom (not dictate) and how to assess and address as you progress through your unit. These three elements of the class were essential for me and exactly what I was hoping to learn as I move forward in my career, teaching 21st century learners.
       During the first couple of days of the course I had my first epiphany. The big question on my mind as we began the week was, "What is the difference between an integrated unit and a PBL". I quickly learned through the class and conversations with Mrs. Mitchell that a PBL is similar to an integrated unit but much more. Project-based learning is an instructional model. It is used by the teacher to deliver standards-based content over time through the investigation of a relevant, complex and engaging problem. A PBL is meaningful and relevant to the child. It requires the teacher to be a facilitator of learning, guiding children as they work through the content. Specifically, the most important differences between integrated units and project based learning is that each unit begins with a driving question and problem to solve that focuses both the teacher and students. A PBL must also have sustained inquiry and incorporate appropriate technological tools throughout the unit. Students must be given a voice and choice throughout the unit in order to give them ownership in their learning. The opportunities for meaningful reflection and revision throughout the process is essential. Using protocols and formative assessments throughout the unit is essential in guiding instruction and establishing the need for further inquiry. Finally, in project based learning their must be a public audience, someone outside of the classroom for whom the project has relevance. The audience could be other peers or adults inside the building or someone in the community.
       As an early childhood educator, I have been focusing on the components of project based learning that will be most challenging and how to address those concerns in my classroom. With young children, my concern has always been that if I loosen the reigns and allow my students too much freedom they will play and not learn the concepts, content, and skills in which I am charged to teach them. Throughout this week I have learned that project based learning is an exciting method of instruction to use is in kindergarten. I can give my students more voice and choice and become the facilitator of their learning, not the dictator. I can use developmentally appropriate protocols and formative assessments throughout the unit to ensure students are not only learning the content, but developing deeper understanding.
       The presentation of our course in PBL format was innovative and made the content meaningful for me. Throughout the week, as we used collaborative groups, protocols, communication, problem solving, creativity, and critical thinking, I could feel my enthusiasm as an educator and my excitement for my children growing day by day. As professionals we know that individuals understand when they "do". This class gave me a deeper understanding of what it means to use the PBL model in my classroom because I participated in a PBL myself. Collaborating with and getting to know my colleagues in District 6 allowed me to see other perspectives and get ideas from my peers. Their excitement and creativity set the bar high for what I now expect from my own project. I will be excited to share the outcome of my project based learning experience with them and will be anxious to hear their outcomes as well. We will learn from each other's experiences and move forward as we strive to provide the highest quality of education for the students we teach.
       My paradigm shift occurred this week when I realized my children will be more engaged when I give them a voice and choice and allow them to work collaboratively. I plan to become a coach, facilitating their learning through a solid PBL unit plan, protocols, mini-lessons, sustained inquiry, and formative assessments as we work through our unit. This will be a leap of faith for me but I believe in the methodology and believe that as educators of 21st century learners we need to change and adapt to ensure we meet the needs of all of our children. My challenge as I move forward in this class and beyond is to ensure that my instruction changes and adapts to meet the needs of my students. Students come first and in our district and always in my classroom!






























       

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shanna,
    Thank you for your thoughtful summary and reflections of what you learned throughout this week long intensive immersion into pbl. I am thankful that you chose to spend one of the last weeks of summer with us and the outcomes of both understanding and application with your new unit on democracy and voting will pay of in multiple dividends not only in this unit, but throughout this year. I am excited about what voting will look like with your students and I can't wait to be a part!

    ReplyDelete