Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Ray Tedder - Day 1 - Ted Talk Response

When I listen and watch Sir Robinson's talk I find that it is hard not to be bitter.  Frankly, I felt the need to stop a pray about it.

I teach science.  In the years since started teaching, I began to realize that this system that we have developed is really teaching science but it is teaching about science.  It's much like teaching a young person about a car and about the laws that apply to driving and calling it driver's education without even having the child sit in a car much less drive it.

Pure science is a way of trying to understand the way the universe works.  Applied science is taking that understanding and using to accomplish some goal.  The process of doing science IS a PBL project.

What so many people do not seem to understand is that science is not one lab but an ongoing struggle to ferret out the mystery of how things in nature work.  Every answer to every question that is discovered leads to more questions.

Now, I am not some prophet or genius.  I love the process of science and tried to understand its value and I read a lot of research.  Many people much smarter than me already knew what I was coming to realize.  I did what I could in my classroom to change that model but the lack of support--indeed, the opposition--was overwhelming. While I have kept elements of those methods--elements that are at the heart of what I think is the PBL model, I have largely given up.

So, when someone else in my group yesterday said something to the effect that students and parents will oppose these methods saying, "But you're not teaching us," in my mind I was screaming, "You have no idea."

With that as a preface, let me say that I am both happy and fearful but I agree that changes in the way that education is approached are sorely needed.

On the other hand, I do not want us to, "Throw out the baby with the bathwater."  There is a reason why the traditional method of educational delivery has developed and not all of it is bad.  A look at the history of education (as with many things) shows that society tends to swing back and forth and the most stable place is where the swing will come to rest.

My vision of a PBL classroom, then, is one that utilizes the best elements of all techniques to get as far as students can in the time that we have together.  Because standards are important and time is limited, my vision of a PBL science classroom is one in which the questions or problems will be guided ones... in many cases highly guided.   Those practices that  I will continue to foster are those that will give my students the opportunity to develop the habits of mind of a scientist.  They include encouragement, the kind of guidance that develops self-sufficiency, and modeling of curiosity.

Paradigm shifts are hard and are almost never accomplished in the short term.  Sir Robinson’s call for a paradigm shift is not new.  The problem is that folks haven't been listening.  My response and "greatest challenge" is to forget "what is behind and (strain) toward what is ahead,  (To) press on toward the goal... ."  Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ray,
    I appreciate your honesty in sharing your personal journey as a science teacher, wanting science education to be geared towards "doing science" instead of learning "about science." I couldn't agree more! I know many times opposition happens when change occurs. I want to encourage you to renew your passion and commitment to project based learning and to consider possibilities for communicating the research behind project based learning to our stake holders - parents-students-colleagues-community and to press forward toward what we know is best for students. I want to address the point you made about the pendulum shifting in education and the importance of balance. While I agree with you that balance is important, I also want to challenge your point that traditional education is effective and challenge us all to reach for the ideal instead of the middle. We will arrive at our own approximation, but growth happens when we step outside of our comfort zone and take risks that are thoughtful, purposeful, and well planned. We can then pass this experience on to our students as well. I look forward to our work together this week and throughout this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer is the best response. Your post challenged me to pray about this as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete