Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Day 2 Blog - Shanna

Article Reflection:
The Main Course, Not Dessert by BIE

          According to the article, "The Main Course, Not Dessert", in  21st century project based learning the project is the main course. It is not the desert, the project at the end of  a conventionally taught lesson. These dessert projects are not formally presented or  discussed. The Main Course project is like project based learning in that it contains rigor and depth. Learning takes in depth and throughout the completion of the project. The project contains the curriculum and is formally presented at the conclusion of the unit. The presentation is reflected upon by the students and the audience to which it is presented. Like project based learning, the main course project, requires collaboration, demonstrating knowledge of content, communication and critical thinking/problem solving. Main course projects include a driving question, and sustained inquiry as well. The most important difference between the examples given in the article and the goal of our project based learning units seems to be the amount of student choice.

                    Creating a project based classroom will require me to work well outside of my comfort zone. I am excited about this course because in recent years I have realized that I control all of the instruction that takes place in my classroom and it is difficult for me to allow my young students freedom and choice because I am afraid they will not learn the content. I had a wonderful experience this past year when I taught an inquiry based unit and saw what my little ones can do on their own and the excitement in my classroom from the ownership the students felt was inspiring. To ensure my classroom is a true project based learning environment I will have to undergo a major paradigm shift, beginning now, with this class. I will turn off my controlling nature and trust in the process of project based learning. It is a little scary but very exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it can be difficult to give up control in the classroom, even with older students! They are required to learn so much during their year with us, and I also worry that they will not learn the required content. Like you said, it is great to see what our students are capable of when we give them more responsibility for their learning. I hope we all see this as we implement our units this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shanna,
    I appreciate your honesty so very much and I found myself nodding my head in commiseration and in understanding when I read your blog post. I've been there - in the mode of "I care so much about my students' learning that I want to make sure they learn what they need to learn and if I let go of control will they all get there?" I've wrestled with this and continue to reflect with each teaching experience how can I create an environment where students do more so they can grow more. How can I grow as a facilitator and support of their work and learning? I can see you doing this thinking in our class this week and it is evident in the decisions you are making about your pbl unit.

    ReplyDelete