Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Jeneane Allgood--day 2
  1. How will you ensure that your classroom is one where Project-Based Learning is the main course and not just the dessert?
        This article really helped me to distinguish between a "main course" PBL and a "dessert" PBL.  While many of my projects would probably be considered "dessert" PBLs, I know that I have some that are pretty close to being "main course" ones.  Now that I know what makes up a "main course" PBL, I can look at which units would be most appropriate to let go of some of the traditional lecture and do a PBL instead (if that would be best for student learning for that particular topic). It means getting out of my comfort zone a little bit, but if that is what it takes, then I am willing to try it for my students!

How will you respond to colleagues and school leadership when they ask about your PBL intentions?
              I would tell my colleagues that just as we may teach a given topic 4 or 5 different ways to accommodate for different learning styles of students, incorporating a PBL into a unit plan is another way to teach material in a meaningful way to students. And, because there is some choice involved, you are accounting for the different learning styles of students.
             One thing I would say about incorporating PBLs into more classes is that class sizes should really be kept down to 20 or less to give the teacher time to interact with the students and allow for reflection, revision, and critique. PBL's can be utilized in any level class, but a smaller class size will help everyone to stay focused and keep discipline problems to a minimum (hopefully). 

2 comments:

  1. Amen to 20 or less students! There was a huge difference in my ability to interact with my kids when I had 18 students two years ago compared to 26 students last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeneane,
    I cheered when I read your first response! Understanding the difference between a unit that has a project at the end (pbl as dessert) and a unit that has inquiry embedded throughout (pbl as the main course) is a huge foundational understanding to what pbl is and what it isn't. In our discussions regarding your cell to cell communication unit I definitely see where you are working towards creating sustained inquiry in this unit.
    I appreciate the point you made about how you will communicate to colleagues how pbl provides for differentiation in order to meet students' individual needs and the collective growth of the class as well.
    Class size is an important factor to consider, but it doesn't have to be a deterrent. I agree with you 100% that 20 kids doing pbl is easier to manage than 35 but with class size as a variable we cannot control, I would still prefer pbl to direct instruction even with a larger class. I just have to modify how to work in more collaborative feedback. It's tougher to do with a large class, but it is definitely do-able.

    ReplyDelete