Monday, July 25, 2016

Crossley's Day 1 HW - Tedtalk

1. Ken's talk about revolutionizing education made me think about being more sensitive to my students dreams. The fast food example resonated with me. If I worked at a fast food restaurant, I would not allow or want customers to order different items or try to specialize their order for their personal likes (and isn't this the response you get when you ask for something special at a fast food chain other than Chic-fil-A?). Is this the way I run my classroom? Have I expected everyone to leave with the exact same understandings and goals? I'm afraid the answer to that is a resounding, "Yes."

2. I think PBL will help me transform my "fast food classroom" into a "farmer's market." I like the idea of discussing failures (story Dawn told this morning) as reflecting on failure really leads to growth - which should be the ultimate goal of education and can be utilized through PBL. One concern I have is that PBL will exhaust me and my students will not get the true benefits of my awesome PBL unit(s) due to my lack of energy. Also, I am concerned that my family will get my leftovers as I put in all this time and effort to PBL.

7 comments:

  1. The "fast food" comment stuck with me as well. I would hate to be consider as a "fast food" teacher, but as I reflect, I know some of my previous units seem like a McDonald's order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of discussing failures as well. My own children feel like they need to be good at everything or win at everything and I try to explain to them that you learn so much more from the times you don't succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "fast food" comment really made me reflect on my teaching practices as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    Sir Ken Robinson's fast food restaurant example resonated with me as well. At our most basic fast food restaurant, consumer choice and personalization is not only customary but expected, yet in classrooms across our country student choice and ownership is a rarity. I appreciate the thought you are already putting into your pbl unit of study and your prioritization for opportunities that promote student growth and risk taking will help ensure that it is successful. I know that this pbl planning process will take time and the implementation process will take time as well, but remember, perfection in planning or in executing isn't the end goal. Growth is what we are after, in teachers as well as students. It is okay for your first unit to have some areas that you will need and want to improve on in the second course. Knowing that this is not only acceptable but encouraged can help reduce the pressure and the anxiety you may be feeling with the beginning stages of the planning. The outcome of growth and a product you are proud of will be worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Marie: I have been using guided learning in my math class for the past 4 years and you are right about the amount of energy this kind of project learning takes but there is an up side...as your students get excited about learning they will re-energize you and motivate you to do even more!!

    ReplyDelete