Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Scott Taylor - Ted Talk

I would not go as far as a revolution in education because in some cases it is working great, for some.  Our current education system is basically is challenged and designed for those students who are going to a four year college and are seeking "the degree."  We must realize some are not academically mature, don't need a degree, etc.  We need to design education to meet the future needs of every student - plumber, electrician, or doctor.  We need to use their talents to prepare them what's coming next for them and not what's next for everyone.  My vision of PBL classroom is just that.  Taking these talents each student has and harboring them to not only increase educationally but also for future practices as well.  The practices I will continue to foster and what I have not thought about is this sustained inquiry.  This too will prove to be my greatest challenge.  I can sustain inquiry with the students and what I am doing with them, but how am I going to make this inquiry intrinsic to each student?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,
    I agree with you that our current system works for some, but it does not work for all and in many of our classrooms, students aren't challenged to grow as independent readers/writers/researchers/innovators but rather to "sit and get" and do "school" and as a result may not be prepared for college or career. This isn't the case for all but it is a generalization. I am excited about your vision for pbl where our educational practices are designed to meet the needs of each student, supporting their growth through sustained inquiry. I look forward to seeing how this concept of sustained inquiry will look in your pbl unit you will create this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree our system works for some - like me, thus my career choice. However, I believe PBL will help, and would have helped, students like my brother. Both my parents had furthered their education and my mother was even a teacher. I remember them saying, "School is just not for Eric." I thought, even at a young age, how tragic to be doing something for 13 years that was not for you. I think if my brother had experienced PBL classrooms, he would have not necessarily gone to college, but could have pushed more towards a goal of a career he really enjoys other than one he simply settled for due to his avoidance of the education system. School is not for everyone, but it should be an effective use of 13 years for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of some former classmates from college that were from Germany. Their public school system included multiple middle level schools depending on skill level and future career choice. If a student had the grades and passions, they went to a certain school the prepared them more for college. If another student is more likely to go straight into their career, they attend a different school.

    This design is uniquely made with the future of the students in mind. I wonder if developing a model like this in American education would be more beneficial.

    ReplyDelete