Monday, July 25, 2016

Melissa Terry's Blog Post One

What is your response to Ken Robinson’s challenge to revolutionize education and how does our work in developing a PBL mindset for Spartanburg District Six students promote/support that paradigm shift?

I think that PBL is a good start to revolutionizing education.  I think that there are so many great learning practices associated with PBL, and I think that students will benefit if we are willing to make that change.  Even though research tells us differently, too often our practices still resemble classrooms from decades ago.  The example of spelling tests that was given today is a great example of how we often continue practices even though we know they are not best for student learning. 

What does Ken Robinson’s challenge mean for you personally and specifically for your teaching practice? Describe your vision of a PBL classroom? What practices will you continue to foster? What is your greatest challenge in implementing PBL in the upcoming school year?

Ken Robinson’s challenge means a great deal for me personally.  For the past several years, I have been the principal of a very small rural Title One school in Pickens County.  The school board voted to close that school, which is why I am moving to be the principal of Six Mile Elementary.  At my previous school, we were beginning with PBL but I felt that we had a good grasp of concepts and were making gains to implement this methodology.  Six Mile Elementary is a higher performing school than my previous one, and I am anxious to see what makes that so.  I am not sure where they are in implementing PBL.  My vision as a principal will be to assess this in my new school and then plan for professional development to assist in the implementation.  I feel that as an instructional leader it is my responsibility to lead in this endeavor.  I know that with any implementation, it is important to provide lots of opportunities for learning and discussion to get buy in from teachers.  I also know that it is important to begin in small ways and not pressure teachers as they attempt new ways of teaching.  I think it will be important to keep learning alongside my new faculty so that I can help coach teachers as they move forward

2 comments:

  1. I think your connection to spelling tests is right on par with Robinson's example of the wrist watch. I think a lot of educators (and I know I'm guilty of this myself) do things because that's what we were taught to do, or have simply always done. Asking ourselves "why am I teaching this?" and "how does teaching this (or teaching this this way) benefit my students?" is an honest discussion each one of us needs to have with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    I agree with you that Sir Ken Robinson's assessment of the prevalent model of instruction as a linear model is outdated and is not relevant to our students' as digital natives and does not adequately prepare them for college and career. I recently read Debbie Miller's text, "No More Independent Reading Without Support" and she uses an analogy of guarding benches to explain how as educators we protect practices that we are comfortable with, that we've done for years even when they are not effective and are not engaging for kids. She explains that this is like students who guard benches that no one is sitting on. This reminded me of Ken Robinson's explanation of our attachment to linear instruction and your example of traditional spelling instruction. When we know something doesn't work, why do we continue....? One of my favorite quote's by Albert Einstein is his definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I am excited about your new journey as principal of Six Mile and your support of pbl as the school's instructional leader is a huge step. I know teachers teachers who are already embracing this methodology will appreciate your experience and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete