Thursday, July 28, 2016

September Bennett-Cook Day 2

My initial thought of PBL was definitely a more detailed and presented version of a "dessert" project. Though there were options for student choice, opportunity for public presentation of a final product, and various forms of collaboration, projects in my room were extended assessments. Sustained inquiry, authenticity, and reflection make such a difference in the development and process of true PBL. Making those real-life connections, collaborating in meaningful ways, and building problem solving skills are key components and I look forward to seeing the shift for students in my classroom. I recognize, however, that the change won't happen overnight. I will still need the support and feedback from my cohort and other PBL teachers, as well as continued PD workshops to make this work. 

I'm thrilled that my principal has opted to move in this direction. His support and that of other teachers at Bobo will be an integral part of this change. Having administration and colleagues cheerlead PBL to students, parents and our surrounding community will make such a big difference. I anticipate nay-sayers, but would be happy to explain that data shows that students learn and retain more when they are active participants in their learning. We cannot lecture at students for hours then allow them to work through one cookie cutter project and expect the same results as encouraging and guiding their exploration of the content. PBL requires students to become active learners and in doing so, improves their connections and understanding of the required subject matter.

1 comment:

  1. Hi September,
    I appreciate your thoughtful response to the article for Tuesday's post. Many of us as teachers have had the misconception of pbl being a unit with a culminating project, but this article points out what sustained inquiry really is and helps us understand how pbl is different than just a "dessert" project. I am excited that you want to embed inquiry and project work throughout your units and I am also thankful that you are in a school with leadership and in a district whose leadership supports progressive education and inquiry-based learning.

    ReplyDelete