Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Marie Darstein - Day 2 - the Main Course

    1.  How does a “main course” project compare with the PBL Essential Elements?
      The 'main course' project would definitely meet the gold standard for PBLs.
      Seven of the eight essential elements are directly represented in the 'main course' project.  The only essential element that doesn't seem to be represented is authenticity.  During the past two days I have come to have an appreciation for this element and feel like it would be an good side dish to be included in the 'main course'.
    2. How will you ensure that your classroom is one where Project-Based Learning is the main course and not just the dessert?
      This is a really good question and one I am struggling with just after two days.  I feel like we have made such tremendous strides in making middle school math a guided learning process full of activities and projects but now the next step on this journey from 'Good to Great' points to PBL.  I believe math is a unique subject in that so many topics are sequential. The challenge will be creating projects that follow the sequence while providing true learning experiences.  I feel like I can ensure this through careful planning and research.
    3. What supports will you need in order to make PBL a main course in your classroom?
      RESOURCES!!!! and time - time to plan and make mistakes.
      I think my journey to make PBL the main course IS A PBL.  My DQ is How do I teach this class using PBL? and my Problem Statement is How do I as a math teacher teach using PBL so that my students will be more successful mathematicians and 21st century learner?
    4. How will you respond to colleagues and school leadership when they ask about your PBL intentions?
      My elevator pitch will be: "In the past 4 years, using guided learning, I have seen the lowest level math students in 8th grade grasp all of the concepts normally associated with Algebra I.  They not only grasp the concepts but they understand them in a real-world context.  If guided learning and the projects associated with it can make that much difference, the possibilities for Project Based Learning outcomes are staggering.  I will continue to create projects that avail those outcomes to my students."

3 comments:

  1. You made a very interesting comment about authenticity being the side-dish to the PBL "main-course". I, too, have come to greatly appreciate the authenticity that comes with creating a PBL. If we create a product without the authenticity, then some students will just view it as "busy work" or an "art project". The authenticity not only makes the project relate to the student, but also gives him or her the power to know that they can come up with an answer that solves the problem presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you will be challenged in planning authentic sequential PBL math lessons that will build on prior knowledge and reflect the Gold Standard we are learning in class. However, I love your positive attitude and think that you will be successful, like you said, through careful planning and implementation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I LOVE that you are applying what you are learning about pbl beyond your garden unit and into your math class. Guided math groups are effective because they provide a path for both sustained inquiry and support for student independent work. I think you have your next pbl unit already in the works!

    ReplyDelete