Monday, April 30, 2018

Christi Coomes Blog 2


BLOG #2 CHRISTI COOMES REFLECTION ON PBL THE VACATION PROJECT

The vacation project went well for my last block class.  Since they had created a rubric for the first PBL they were much more efficient in constructing the grading rubric for this one.  Also, they used the rubric to determine if they were meeting the requirements of the project.  The first time they did not refer to the rubric to see if they were meeting the standards.  

The vacation project presentations were presented as a gallery walk.  The students really enjoyed presenting this way.  They had several opportunities to perfect their presentation, as they had to present it at least three times.  Also, they enjoyed this type of presentation because it was a low stress environment (only presenting to six people at a time). 

Giving the students calculation sheets on which to work and a booklet to place the material in was very beneficial.  In the first project, I did not provide calculation sheets and the students did not know how to construct them for themselves.

There were so difficulties in this PBL. My second block class started the project.  Even with constant supervision and guidance, they were not productive.  They spent their time talking and not completing the assignments.  I had to stop the project.  I think they got the message.  I am now working on a tin man project which involves constructing a tin man out of recycled material and calculating the surface area.  They will receive the exact amount of foil needed based on their calculations to cover their tin man.  The middle block is now working to diligently to complete this project. 

If I had to do this again.  I would discuss the difference in cultural facts and other types of facts.  The facts they gave me about the country were not about culture, such as the population of the city or country.

Overall I was pleased with the project. 

Christi Coomes
PS I had accidently deleted this, but was able to retrieve it.  However, I could not get rid of the line through the middle.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christi,
    I am glad that the vacation project presentations were successful. The student artifacts you brought to our last class for your presentation and that I saw in my first observation this spring were evidence of successful implementation. Thank you for sharing the hard parts too. The reality of pbl implementation means that many times we will need to provide scaffolding and support to students in ways we didn't anticipate. The beauty of it is we can meet their needs in the middle as they arise because of the structure of pbl giving students consistent work time.

    Thank you!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete