Friday, April 27, 2018

Taylor Thomas - Course 3: Final Blog Post

What I used to think but what I know now about pbl

This is tough for me because I was introduced to problem based learning at the beginning of my career. It was the school initiative where I worked and everyone was trained accordingly. Problem and project based learning are similar approaches to teaching and learning. The teacher is a facilitator and 21st century skills are an important component. Organization, execution and school climate are also important in problem and project based learning. I will say that I did not know the difference in the two before. I now know that project based learning is multidisciplinary as opposed to single subject and based on real world ideas not just a scenario that needs to be solved or answered. The arts are integrated in project based learning experiences and it takes weeks to complete. I also now know how important it is to involve stakeholders. This allows students to see relevance and importance in their hard work. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taylor,
    I enjoyed reading your final reflection and wanted to thank you for taking the time to reflect on your journey with project based learning this year. I am glad that this experience built on your previous understanding and training with problem based learning and widened your knowledge base with two different approaches. You also spoke to the importance of integrating multiple disciplines into one pbl unit of study and the benefits as well as the time investment this requires. I am also glad that this experience helped encourage the involvement of multiple stakeholders in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete