Sunday, April 22, 2018

Clark H. Maxwell Course 3 Post 4

On Monday 4/16 I presented my Genius Hour sales pitch to my administrators.  I have talked about this a good bit to my other PE teachers, but this time decided the bosses needed to hear it.  It was very informal after the last class had left the cafeteria.  The admin's have lunch duty on Monday's, so I knew they would all be there.  They were very receptive to the idea.  I talked about how this would be more beneficial to us in PE because it could be done in one day and not take away hardly any PE time.  Several of the sports that we do are Olympic level sports, so they have a history.  I thought it would be a great idea to have the students use Genius Hour to find out everything they could about the history of the sport, the rules, who the best teams are, what kind of money the professionals make, etc.  Also, since PE is very sports oriented, we could use this to have students research other jobs in sports, what kind of schooling they would need, salary, etc.  This weekend I thought about how we could use it to help in Social Studies.  Two fellow teachers hit on the sports of Lacrosse, textile mill baseball and Shoeless Joe Jackson and we could start the ball rolling, no pun intended, in PE as kind of a primer for what they are about to get into in class.  Below is my attempt at a selfie for evidence.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Clark,
    I really appreciate you taking time to explain not only your experience with project based learning in the P.E. classroom but to go a step farther and advocate for the continued inclusion of this as a practice that is doable and is beneficial for students. I also liked the selfie!

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete