Thursday, April 19, 2018

Sarah Garner: FINAL BLOG POST

I cannot believe that I am writing my final blog post! This process has been exciting and exhausting for me. Being a first year teacher, going through induction, read to succeed, and this PBL class, I have stretched myself very thin. However, I have grown so much as a teacher by taking this class. PBL is not just about projects. It is about making sure that your students are prepared to enter college or the work place after high school. This year has been eye opening for me, because I thought a teacher just taught. Now I know that we are responsible with teaching them how to be responsible and respectful citizens. I believe incorporating PBL into your classroom helps produce these qualities in your students. Also, I was very skeptical of using PBL in a math classroom. I did not believe that I would have enough time to do projects and hit every standard. However, as I started to create my projects I noticed how you can incorporate so many different standards into it. It blew my mind! PBL allows the students to create their own knowledge on a topic, not just the teachers knowledge. They explore, create, and learn. Each year from now, I will incorporate more and more projects into my classroom. I am so grateful for this opportunity for me to grow as an educator.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing!! I didn't jump in to that many classes until I had taught for a few years, but I know you have built up your endurance for the coming years. I, too, thought in those first few years that teachers "just taught" and now realize that is not the case. We are leaders, facilitators, mentors, counselors, discipliners (yes, I know that's not a word; also, I mean it in the positive sense of the word) and sometimes even friends. We wear many hats, and PBL allows us to utilize all of those hats. Thank you for taking this journey with me! I look forward to many more years with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I am thankful for your decision to take this course and join our cohort. I have enjoyed learning and growing with you and I am thankful that pbl opened up possibilities for student engagement that also incorporated standards while engaging your students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete