Sunday, April 22, 2018

Clark H. Maxwell Course 3 Blog 3-Research Day

   For my PBL unit on health concerns we did our research the Wednesday before spring break.  I gave them a paper that had 5 questions on it.  The questions just hit the high points, KISS principal.  We decided as a group that the best way for the whole group to finish and still have time for gym was to divide and conquer.  Our groups, at the time, consisted of 4 people.  The groups split in half, and each half took a computer, work sheet, and pencil.  The halves played rock/paper/scissor to see who have to research a third question.  Not the most democratic way to settle things, but its what we use in PE to break ties, etc. 

    The thing that surprised me the most was how tech savvy the kids were in their research.  If they didn't get what they wanted out of their Google question, they changed it until they did.  It surprised me how fast they finished.  If one half finished faster, they went and helped the other half of their group.  Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to students' tech skills, but they were great.  And, they weren't just trying to get something down so they could have PE.  The kids really got some good information.  Below is an example of one of the research sheets.  Shows how well I can do this stuff.  I could not get a picture of the sheet to load, so I used a page break and copy/pasted.




Project Research


Define your teams’ health condition/concern.




Name 3 ways it can impact your body.





What are 3 ways that exercise can help a person avoid this condition?





What foods should you avoid if you have this condition?




Are there any foods that can help control this condition?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Clark,
    I was impressed with the level of student engagement in their research during the observation as well. I attribute this to your creation of driving questions that were open ended but also specific to the disease and easily researchable. I hope this experience will encourage you to continue to include inquiry based learning into your classroom practice. Your students responded well to ti.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete