Friday, April 27, 2018

Emily Waddill Course 3 Blog 6


I want to start by saying that this school year has been a long one with many successes and failures along the way. I’ve learned so much from the short time that I’ve been working as a part of Spartanburg School District 6 and I’ve been presented with a lot of opportunities for growth that I’m very thankful for. Firstly, PBL was not something that I had ever heard of before this class and it is not something for the faint of heart to try implementing in the classroom. However, I can say that I’m prepared for what is to come and I’m looking forward to executing more PBL units in my classes over the following years. I can say that there were many things that just didn’t work and there were a lot of things that worked very well. So, throughout all of my experiences with PBL I have learned something new every time.

I’m really looking forward to setting up my classroom next year with more of a guided math framework. All year I know that this is how I eventually want my classroom to be run and I’ve been provided with many resources to help me out with planning. I had the opportunity to visit Chesnee Middle School and observe some guided math in action and Mrs. Woodson also gave me some resources to help. I think that PBL will fit in very well with this type of structure in my classroom. One of the teachers that I observed at Chesnee Middle School used the MATHS acronym for his guided math. This stands for making sense of the problem, application, technology, hands-on and small group and all of the students rotated through these stations. A PBL unit could be done at either the application station or the hands-on station and that is what I plan on doing. I want math to feel more relevant in student’s lives and giving them opportunities to see the applications will help with that. I know that realistically, guided math isn’t going to be done every day and it doesn’t have to be. So I still plan on doing introductions to new content through whole group lessons and then diving into the guided math rotations right after that. I can’t wait to get started next year with all of this in mind and I truly hope that next year will be my best year ever!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I am so very proud of you and what you have been able to accomplish this year. It is no small feat to change states and schools and to add an intensive three grad course cohort to the mix would be daunting for most people. You did with grace and with growth and I am thankful for the opportunity to learn with you and welcome any opportunities we have in the future. I enjoyed reading and learning about the MATHS acronym for the Chesnee Middle School guided math groups you observed. I think this would be a great inquiry station that you could use pbl with.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete