Thursday, April 19, 2018

Sarah Garner; Blog post 5

I read the article "5 Strategies for Making Project Work Time More Productive" by Kristyn Kamps. In my classroom I struggle with my students using their time wisely and doing their work. I do have to remember that they are 15 years old, and when I was 15 years old I did not know how to use my time wisely. I would talk to everybody during work time, and if my teacher moved me away, I would talk to the wall. So, I know that my students are not always going to talk about their project. They might talk about the shoes they just bought, but I want a method to insure that there is good work happening during the time that they are given. Kristyn gave some great ideas to encourage good work. I love the idea of structured team agendas. My 15 years old think they have all the time in the world until they do not. They do not understand the concept of time. I believe that these agendas will help give my students a outline of when everything is due and what needs to be done. Also, creating team leaders to monitor each person work and ensuring that they are getting their part done, is a fabulous idea! The team leader would act as their "boss", just like if they were in the real world.

3 comments:

  1. The structured team agenda sounds like a great way to help monitor the time spent on a task. Self reflecting helps you to connect better with your students. I can relate because I was always in trouble for talking. This won't be any different for my students. Sometimes they are oblivious to how much time they actually have until you are telling them their project is due. That's is when many panic and grades drop. The agenda or work contract that we use, I think puts everything out there so they know at the end of this PBL, these need to be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to have a problem with students that don't realize the value of time. I will have to try the structured team agenda. It sounds like it is a great way to hold the students accountable while monitoring their progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Your blog post made me laugh out loud when you said in highschool you would talk to the wall! Yep, I remember those days too! I am glad that you found this blog post helpful with her strategies of the structured team agenda and team leader being two you would apply.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete