Monday, April 23, 2018

Savannah Griffith- Blog Post 2



      Blog Post 2 - Savannah Griffith


      When Dawn came to observe my PBL class we were in the middle of the unit. She was able to see a gallery walk of my students progress and then observe them giving feedback. My PBL unit this semester is a beautification project for our school. We are adding signage to important areas in the building, but not just any signs. Custom made designs by my 8th grade art visions class. They have worked extremely hard and I am so proud of them! They have taken initiative during this project unlike any other.

       I was nervous at first that the students would shut down and not respond to questions, etc. However I was plesantly surprised that they opened up, gave thoughtful feedback, and seemed very engaged. I really enjoyed the gallery walk because the students were able to see what all the other groups had been working on. I think it gave them a sense of pride in themselves and the great work they had produced this far.

      They gave feedback through color coded sticky notes. Then the students had about six minutes at the end of class to read their feedback and make notes on what they found helpful. I had them turn their paper over and quick write their key feedback so they wouldn't forget over the weekend.

      Overall I was very happy with the observation and look forward to finishing this project strong! My students have worked very hard and are truly learning the meaning of PBL.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Savannah,
    I enjoyed my observation of your pbl unit of study where students were able to create signs for their new school building. What I appreciated the most in this observation was how you provided students with an opportunity to give and receive feedback through the gallery walk protocol but more than that you had them take time to reflect on the suggestions they were given and to write down on the back of their rough draft posters what changes they would make when they came back tomorrow. This was taking the feedback and actually applying it which is what we hope they will do.

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete