Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Sarah Kate Higgins Course 3 Blog 6- What I knew then and now

Beginning this endorsement process, I thought that PBL was a project within your unit. I thought to myself, I do projects with my students, this should be easy. Boy was I wrong. Day one of the first course I quickly began to realize that Project based learning is much deeper and requires extensive thought and planning.

The first course was overwhelming with information and left me with a lengthy to do list and a lots of ideas to bring back to Fairforest. I enjoyed the layout of the course and how we participated in a variety of consensus protocols that we could easily bring back to my classroom on day one. It was overwhelming going through it but leaving Dorman on that Friday in July, I was excited with the ideas and plan I created in the first course.

I thought that the second course was so helpful with application of PBL. I enjoyed learning more about work contracts as well as genius hour. My students loved genius hour and I learned alot about my student's interests and passions throughout this project. I also loved the mentorship throughout the third class. I felt that this class gave me the most that I could grow from. Overall, this endorsement course was so wonderful and I look forward to continuing my journey with PBL.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah Kate,
    I am glad this process has been beneficial to you and that while you may have started in the first intensive week long class overwhelmed that isn't how you've ended. I loved seeing how well your students did with your co-teaching model with their math instructional videos. You are right about our enthusiasm and willingness to try new techniques being contagious. I continue to appreciate your willingness to grow and to learn new practices.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete