Friday, April 27, 2018

Savannah Griffith Blog Post 6


What I use to think but Now I Know


    PBL #1- What I was thinking - I am scared to do this by myself; I do not know what I am doing. I cannot do this and all the other stuff I have to do. - 

When I completed my first PBL, I was not so excited. I felt like the process was slow and I could not get students excited about what we were learning. The sixth grade social studies teachers changed their lesson plans the day before I implemented my PBL. I was just not feeling it. The expert I had planned could not come on the days I needed. I was stressed and could see no end to the project from day one.


What I learned - As time went on, I began to really understand how I could use this in my classes. I found new ways to spark students’ interest and they began to get engaged. I thought in the beginning that there was no hope but I now know that through dedication and pushing students to do their best, you can get through your first PBL! 
    
     PBL #2- What I was thinking - Still a little nervous but I CAN DO THIS! I know what I am doing. I am praying students will see the real world problem and understand what we are doing. 

  When I started this PBL, all the students were on board and ready to start! I was so excited. They created google docs to collaborate; they made surveys, and really were involved. Now as time went on and the tasks grew demanding they did struggle some but we would meet for our weekly meeting and get back on track! I thought that my students would not understand the purpose of a weekly meeting but I was surprised to learn that they counted on it each week. 

What I learned- I learned not to be too confident because there will be struggles but that the PBL went a lot better when the students and I were excited about it. I learned that eighth grade students seemed to have more experience with STEAM/ PBL. That did help with the whole process. Overall, I learned that the more you experience PBL the more you know. I am excited to start a new PBL in the fall with even more understanding than before! 
   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Savannah,
    I appreciate you taking time to reflect on your journey through both of your pbl unit implementations this semester. I know the first part was intense and even a little overwhelming but I am so glad that you persevered and provided your students with the opportunity even though it changed drastically based on the grade level collaboration. In reading your second semester reflection it is clear that growth happened, not only for you, but also for your students. I am glad that you are already planning your next pbl for the fall!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete