Sunday, April 22, 2018

Clark H. Maxwell course 3 Post 5

Info-graphic Day

     This past Friday we put our research together into info-graphics.  I have never done one of these or knew what they were until we started this class.  I played around with a few different things.  I heard about this one website from another teacher called easel.ly.  As Friday approached I talked at length with this teacher.  Her class just happened to be researching for their own project that would use this website, it was on textile mill baseball and Shoeless Joe Jackson.  I have had a few family members play in the old textile leagues and talked with some of the students about that.  I also know a good bit about Shoeless Joe.  Well, this teacher had a great idea.  Since I had never done an info-graphic, and they were going to be doing one as well, why don't we combine and kill two birds with one stone.

    She was great.  She got all students logged in and started.  My students have done these before, and they obviously know computers better than I do, so their learning curve was very short.  we managed to finish the whole thing in a little over one class period.  As I helped my students as best I could, I was also on tap for any baseball questions that her students had.  

    I guess you could call this cross curricular and cross grade level.  Her class was 8th graders and mine were 7th.  There were no problems, all students were working diligently.  I was surprised at my students creativity.  A few groups took a generic approach, which was fine.  But a few went above and beyond and turned out some spectacular work.  I am still new to this, so when I finally figure out how to save them and upload them, I will.  Fortunately, the teacher I partnered with knows how to do that.  I cannot thank her enough for doing what she did for me, she did not have to.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you!!! I've been looking for an easy infographic site to use with my students! I can't wait to use this site with my students in the coming weeks. Collaborating with other teachers can create some amazing units and open the doors to new resources and lesson ideas. I can't wait to see what your students did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you reached out and worked with another teacher. I have learned that working with other teachers makes your life a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your project! I love how you worked with two different grade levels. Your project sounded so interesting, I hate I didn't get to see it yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clark, I loved reading about your cross disciplinary partnership with your fellow social studies educator and colleague! This is exactly the type of cross disciplinary partnerships that pbl advocates for and I know that your students benefited from having support for their creation of infographics and your colleague's students benefited from your expertise on baseball for their research. When done well cross disciplinary partnerships are a win win for everyone involved, students and teachers alike.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete