Monday, April 30, 2018

Christi Coomes Blog 4


Blog #4
Reflection on Mini-PBL with Algebra I
Christi Coomes

I was really interested to see the difference between PBL with gifted students and a regular education class.  I implemented Sarah’s PBL in my Algebra I.  They were able to complete the project in two days, instead of the three weeks it took my class to complete a project or Sarah’s class, which also took three weeks. 

Gifted students thrive with PBL.  They are already curious about the world around them.  When they are given the freedom to explore topics on their own, they will run with it.  Often times, they will come up with the most interesting ideas or observations.  Since, these students are accustom to investigating their world around them, the teacher does not have to stay behind them to ensure they are on task and working collaboratively.  They regulate themselves.

I know that D6’s Horizon program is PBL based, as both of my kids went through the program.  This might be why these students adept at PBL units. 

Another benefit of PBL with gifted students is that it reaches the gifted students who “checked out” because learning is irrelevant to them.  They are not vested in traditional learning because it is boring or beneath their intelligence level.  When they have the opportunity to express their own interests and thought processes in a deep and meaningful manner, they check into the learning process.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christi,
    I love how you think! I am thankful that you go beyond what is expected and always work to consider what is best for all of our students. I am glad that you saw first hand how pbl can be beneficial for both our gifted students and a regular ed. classroom and I was glad I was able to see the implementation of Sarah's Algebra I unit with your class of middle school students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete