Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Taylor Thomas - Bolg 2

  1)      A “main course” project is very much aligned with the essential elements of PBL. The eight categories of each are almost exact, yielding the same results.
  2)      I will ensure that my classroom is one where PBL is the main course by providing rigorous and in enriching experiences. Students will have checkpoints and learn how to set goals and reflect. PBL units will be engaging and relevant to students and focus on preparing them to be successful in the 21st century.
  3)      TIME J and funding are my greatest needs for implementing PBL in my classroom. Team teaching would be beneficial. Support from colleagues and supervisors is necessary. Collaboration and cooperation are essential. If our school’s initiative is PBL, we all need to be on board. (and receive wonderful learning experiences like this one)

  4)      My intentions for PBL are no different than my intentions have always been as a teacher. Children are an investment into our future. In order for me to invest wisely, I must provide students with necessary tools and experiences needed to become a successful, productive citizen. We are living in the 21st century, we should be teaching as so. PBL lends itself to just that. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I should have put that time is the biggest hurdle with PBL, unless we incorporate many learning strands or objectives in the process. As for funding, you may want to look at donors grants as a way to fund your PBL.

    I agree with you on the last statement, PBL does lend itself to meeting the needs of 21st century students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy that you talked about checkpoints. As a new teacher I am still learning how to complete checkpoints to ensure that my students are on track. In PBL I think it's even more important. You do not want a group to fall so far behind that it will be hard for them to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor,
    I loved your last paragraph the most because since I've known you as a teacher, you've consistently conveyed to me your emphasis is on your students' needs and interests as learners. You are exactly right, if we believe that investing in our children invests in our future, then we owe it to them and ourselves to prepare them to be independent creative, collaborative, critical thinkers.

    Thank you!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete