Monday, June 26, 2017

Savannah Griffith Blog 1



Ken Robinson introduced his TED talk with the idea of how little we use human resources, which he refers to as our talents. He went on to explain how so many people believe they have no talents. This struck me, especially being an art teacher, because I deal with so many gifted students that do not even realize how talented they are. He challenges us throughout the TED talk to open our awareness to these talents. He also explains that we may have to, “go looking,” for these talents. This is where Problem Based Learning (PBL) can be an advantage for our students of all talents. Having students solve real world problems that require different talents can truly open their eyes to what they are, “made of.” I believe this shift to PBL will support all students of Spartanburg District Six and help them gain the confidence they will need outside of the school system.

Personally, Robinson challenged me to look at the way I present curriculum to students. I want students to feel confident in what they are working on in my classroom rather than just merely participating to get the grade. Robinson specifically inspires me not to take for granted my job or the students that walk through my door each day. He gives me a new sense of ability to conquer new tasks with my students.


 My vision for a PBL classroom would begin with group-focused work that allowed students to collaborate and cooperate. Having students participate in research opportunities as well as implementing a sense of accountability for their work. Also making the classroom more student driven, allowing the students to take part in instruction and having choice. That would not mean losing control of the classroom but getting to the point where students could handle the extra responsibility. I believe this type of classroom environment would facilitate enduring understanding for students and their futures. 

 The biggest challenge I fear in implementing PBL in the upcoming school year is that students will not be able to handle such a student choice filled environment. I believe this will have to be something we ease into in the first weeks of school. However I plan to introduce PBL from day one of class! 

2 comments:

  1. Savannah, I completely agree with you about building student's confidence. I feel like, especially within middle school, that students lack the confidence to take risks within themselves and their learning. It is up to us to foster an environment where risk taking is normal. I have seen you interact with the student and I know you are a teacher that makes them feel at home within your room! I look forward to continuing down this PBL path with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Savannah,
    I enjoyed reading your response to the Sir Ken Robinson Ted Talk you watched yesterday evening. Like you, I see students and teachers with many under-used and under-recognized talents. I am hopeful that project based learning is one way that we can provide students with opportunities to tap into their talents and interests in their learning.
    You identified student choice as area you wanted to target for growth. As you begin work on your unit plan today, keep these two areas in mind as you work to create your driving question, your culminating product(s), your need to knows, and most of all, the scaffolding and support your students will need to be successful.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete