Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Emily Waddill Post #2

1. A "main course" project is a project that has all of the PBL Essential Elements embedded into it. In order for students to reach 21st century goals they must think critically, problem solve, communicate and collaborate with one another, ask questions, make decisions, revise and reflect and speak in public along with many other characteristics. This type of project is not just one that is added on to the end of a unit or a “dessert”. It is evident throughout a unit and students are learning through the experiences and information they discover.

2. In my classroom I will ensure that PBL is the main course by taking the time to plan out and enhance units with meaningful experiences in the classroom. I will try to guarantee that students know why they are learning the content and what relevance it will have for their future. It is my hope that students will better see the connections between math and the real world and in turn, understand the significance of mathematics. I plan to incorporate as many STEAM experiences as I can throughout the school year, and although it will take a lot of planning, I know my students will benefit greatly from my efforts.


3. In order for PBL to be a main course in my classroom, I would need the support and encouragement of my fellow colleagues. Being a new teacher in this district, having the support from administration and my colleagues would mean a great deal to me. I will also need someone to bounce ideas off of when planning those PBL units. Feedback is a very important step in developing unit plans and it is critical in the process. I hope that all of the teachers in this PBL cohort will keep in touch and still be able to help one another throughout the year. I truly do believe that teachers work best when they are working together.

4. Well, I will talk to them or show them my PBL unit plan of course! I think everyone can agree that PBL is where we all want to go, with as many units as possible, and that we will all take steps in advancing toward that goal. Through the support and feedback of our colleagues, our students will grow and prosper. This is what I will tell my colleagues and school leadership. That even though I’m new to the district, I will join this crusade to develop the future minds of this world through PBL.

4 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I teach math as well and completely understand the importance it is to tie in real world connections to the math topics you teach. Often times, students do not fully understand the roll that math plays within their day to day life! I also love what you said in number 3! I think the amount we have grown together in the past two days is evidence that we work best together! I have loved having the opportunity to grow together and support one another's ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely fantastic answers! I agree that we are better together. With so many ideas being toss out, our students have no choice but to succeed. I appreciate your drive. We do need to all stay close this year in order to buoy each person's determination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letting principals and colleagues come in and observe PBL in the classroom is a way to demonstrate the process, but preferably second semester after you've worked out some kinks.
    I've also wandered if researchers have ever gone back to students a couple of years out and asked them if they liked PBL type instruction. I've learned that students will come back and tell you a couple of years later the instructors that delivered the best instruction. My son found it helpful a couple of years out of high school to discuss this with me. What students sometimes feel at the moment isn't actuality. It would be interesting to see if PBL students retain information longer or forget it at the same rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,
    Throughout these last three days I have enjoyed working with you because of your positive outlook and your work ethic. I know that your colleagues at FMS will feel the same way. I agree with you that successful pbl implementation depends on support from colleagues, administration, and parents. By sharing your pbl plan and seeking out support and strategies from your colleagues, you will provide an opportunity for learning for everyone.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete