Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Sarah Kate Chatel- Blog Post 2

1. After reflecting on the "main course" Project Based Learning and the PBL Essential elements, I notice that both have very similar approaches to identifying the key aspects of a PBL. Both of these focus on problem solving, rigor, inquiry, strong questions, authenticity, student voice and choice, reflection, revision and making the final outcome public, so that it has an impact. I see these as being key approaches to laying the foundation for a 21st century learner.

2. For me a PBL is all about the journey not so much about the initial instruction or end product. I believe that in order for PBL to be the "main course" students have to be patient, communicate and be willing to make mistakes.  I will make it a point to guide student learning through a long term project, not just an end of unit project. I feel lead to make my classroom an environment where PBL is possible through constant support and guidance.

3. I believe that in order for anything to be successful within a school you must have support from the top. Administrators play a key roll in supporting every aspect of the day to day. I know that at Fairforest we have Administration on a mission to support PBL experiences for our students. I also believe that furthering my understanding and expertise by attending this class as well as professional development is beneficial to further grow myself as an educator. I am also excited at the opportunity to work with teachers through the coteach model and support one another through PBL experiences.

4. I would love to share the knowledge I have acquired so far with my colleagues and school leadership. I would share with them how thrilled I am to see students applying real world problems into the classroom where they discover the information they need to know, and dig deeper into the content then when I would just present the information, as well as grow in their interpersonal skills and confidence!

4 comments:

  1. Great! We are lucky that our Admin supports this. You do a great job with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you said about PBL is all about the journey. That reminds me of how our article relates the "main course" to a wholesome meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you answered the questions. I also agree that support is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    I agree with you that project based learning is about the journey and the article you read yesterday supports this belief that students benefit from sustained inquiry and ongoing support for their learning. I am thankful that you and your colleagues at FMS have ongoing support for your work with pbl as well.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete