Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Julianna Lux Blog 2


  1. A “main course” project aligns with the PBL Essential Elements perfectly. At the core of the “main course” project are the content standards. Students learn these standards through a series of lessons and tasks that are inquiry-driven and smaller pieces of a large picture. Critical thinking, problem solving, communication and other 21st century skills are taught in the moment instead of as isolated lessons.  The “main course” project creates an opportunity for a “need to know” the information as opposed to front-loading the information without a reason other than know it for the test.  PBLs, “main course” projects, create a nutritious educational meal that address choice, voice, need, reflection, revision, and interpersonal skills.
  2. In the past, I have found myself caught up in the final product and completely forgetting to teach the content standards. Or I will create a fantastic project, but I neglect to address the students’ need-to-knows in order to help them accomplish the project.  Or the project will be an after-thought to highlight the students’ talents but not really teach them anything.  From now on, when I come up with an idea, I need to spend some time to plan it out and ensure I’m not missing essential elements of PBLs.
  3. I will need assistance with creating a set of resources to consult--people to ask to visit the classroom, websites to visit with videos or articles for my students to explore, etc.
  4. Yes, the first few projects will likely result in trial and error and require a lot of flexibility and hard work on my part; however, the end result will be so rewarding.  My goal with teaching--whether with the Odyssey Amusement Park, I Have a Dream Speech class montage, participating in the Medieval/Shakespeare Festival, or any other project I’ve asked my students to do--has always been to create those memorable organic learning moments.  I want my students to remember more than creating that really cool roller coaster that shot through the Cyclops’ eye or a medieval dance (because that is what they’ve remembered when I’ve asked).  The final product is cool, but it’s the process that needs to stick with them and help them be successful in years to come.  Successfully implement PBLs naturally allow for that.

3 comments:

  1. "My goal with teaching...has always been to create those memorable organic learning moments." This is, or should be, the goal of every teacher. And, yes, the final product should be "cool," but when you activate true understanding, the process will stick with learners for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with getting caught up in the product. All too often we think about what students are going to be tested on and what they need to know by the end of the year, but we don't always think about all of the baby steps that will get us there. I too need to focus more on the process and all of the steps that go into planning meaningful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Juliana,
    I love your summary, "PBLs, “main course” projects, create a nutritious educational meal that address choice, voice, need, reflection, revision, and interpersonal skills." I also found myself intrigued by the list of pbl topics that you have done with your ninth grade students. I am glad that this article along with the course readings and discussions have been helpful in addressing some of the pitfalls with project based learning you discussed in your post.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete