Friday, June 30, 2017

Taylor Thomas - Blog 5

According to the Buck Institute of Education, Project Based Learning is a teaching method in which students gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to an authentic, engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge. This approach to teaching encompasses eight essential elements. Together these elements require teachers to challenge students by providing rigorous and in depth learning experiences.
The Profile of a South Carolina Graduate relates directly to PBL. The quality of learning that PBL necessitates meets world-class knowledge and skills. Life and career characteristics are developed through working effectively and efficiently together. These alignments are important to understand in order for teachers to meet the needs of 21st century learners and create success for all. Students need to understand these connections relate directly to their success not only as a student, but prepare them for the real world. PBL lends itself to doing just that. Making learning meaningful and relevant creates authentic experiences for students to take to new heights.

I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in this class. My approach to teaching has always been problem/project based. I began my teaching career at an elementary school in the beginning stages of moving toward PBL. This was an advantage to implementing PBL as everyone was working together with the same vision. The climate was the same for all teachers and students. As a middle school teacher, not every unit has been true PBL for my students. I am looking forward to this change in our school and district. By taking this class, I am confident I will encourage and influence teachers that may be a bit skeptical. Wonderful PBL units have cultivated that can be shared and modified for many disciplines. I am excited that Gable is taking on this initiative and cannot wait to collaborate with teachers and watch students soar. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor, It is awesome that you started teaching with PBL! I am excited about learning more as I deliver my first PBL lesson. I agree with everything that you are saying and am excited about collaborating with other teachers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor,
    I am glad that you are a part of this cohort too and have continually appreciated the contributions you have made to our class discussions and to the feedback you have provided to your colleagues. Like you, I am glad that Gable teachers and administrators are supportive of project based learning and am looking forward to seeing what your students will create as a result of your Bee pbl that you have created.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete