Friday, June 30, 2017

Robert Smith - Blog 05


What I Used To Think, But Now I Know



Project Based Learning (PBL), according to the Buck Institute for Education, is a teaching method in which students gain understanding, knowledge, and skills by working through investigation and responding to an authentic, engaging question, problem, or challenge.

Important design elements in PBL are:

Key Knowledge, Understanding, and Success Skills – Project are focused on student learning goals (standards), and include skills such as critical thinking, collaboration, and self-directed learning,

Challenging Problem or Question – The project is based on a meaningful, real-world problem to solve, within learners' zones of proximal learning,

Sustained Inquiry – Students partake in an intensive process of questioning, resource finding, and application of their findings,

Authenticity – The project should have real-world context and impact learners on a personal level,

Student Voice & Choice – Students have the ability to make choices about what and how they learn as well as the vehicle for conveying their learning,

Reflection – Both learners and their teachers reflect on what they learned, how effective the process was, if their projects were good, and any barriers they faced throughout the process,

Critique & Revision – Students are able to give and receive peer and teacher feedback for self-improvement, and

Public Product – Students present their projects to other stakeholders.

            All of the above statements define PBLs. I have always used projects as a dessert, something done after primary content instruction ended (Larmer and Mergendoller, 2010). Furthermore, I had self-defined those projects as real PBL. After participating in this course, I realized that I was incorrect. PBL does not need to be the dessert to instruction. It needs to be instruction.

            I have spouted off Piaget’s name, and his constructivist theories, for nearly two decades as my inspiration as to how I teach. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. I was still a traditional teacher who dabbled in simplified learning projects as the result. I now know how to truly switch my personal paradigm into an authentic, student-centered PBL classroom, after taking this course. I can only hope Mr. Piaget would be proud.

3 comments:

  1. I agree so much! I used to make my projects the dessert. With PBL it will be the main course to teach the curriculum. I cannot wait to work together this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I keep asking myself even now, is my project the dessert or real PBL. Typing up the unit has really made me question and think and alter my project. It is very difficult to shift from the old model of teaching in which the teacher front loads, front loads, front loads, (with the teacher being a full participant and maybe even the center of instruction) to the teacher being a facilitator. It is going to be tough. My natural instinct as a parent is to be the leader, problem solver, etc... It is very hard to relinquish control. I'm going to try to trust my students. I have learned that they always surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert,
    I know Piaget would be proud of how you continually work to engage your students in meaningful inquiry through compelling curriculum and with support for the challenges you set before them. Your reputation precedes you as an instructor and I am thankful that through this week long, intensive course you've seen opportunities to improve your current instruction and to strengthen project based learning. You shared how in reflecting you've realized that pbl isn't the project at the end but sustained inquiry throughout. I am looking forward to seeing what you and students will learn from both the processes and the products of your fall pbl unit.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete