Thursday, June 29, 2017

Makisha Miller Blog #4

                             Critical Friends:  Looking at Student Work
1. Protocols will give teachers feedback because a lot of the time we don't have anyone to tell us how we are teaching or tell us if we are dong a good job. It also helps because it helps us incorporate ideas that we may have not of though of.

2.Simply just willingness to try and sit back lesson to feedback. Being open minded and taking in what others say not as an insult but as a helper to make your lesson better.

3. Students could use this protocol to see that they are not the only ones with great ideas. It will also enlighten students to other ideas that they may not ever think of.

4. I would incorporate the critical friends protocol and the silent debate protocol because I learned so much from both and feel that students and teachers could benefit from them both greatly.

3 comments:

  1. "Being open minded and taking in what others say not as an insult but as a helper to make your lesson better." I agree with you here. So many times when someone makes a suggestion for change, the person being critiqued gets defensive about the element being changed. I am guilty of this: How dare you tell me my project isn't good enough! I have to remind myself that's not what is going on; we are helping each other become better teachers just like we are asking our students to take our feedback in order to become better students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am planning to incorporate the critical friends and silent debates this year. I also really like what you said about protocols being used as assessments to let us know how we're doing. Can never have too much feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Makisha,
    I am glad that you found both the critical friends and the silent debate protocols helpful for you as a teacher and plan to use them with your students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete