Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Sarah Garner; Blog 2

    1)      The main course project correlates directly to the PBL Essential Elements. They both focus on specific content, critical thinking, problem solving, inquiry, challenging problems or questions, allows for student voice and choice, incorporates revision and reflection, and includes a public audience. As I read the elements of the main course, I realized they were basically the same as the PBL Essential Elements. PBL and the main course project both strive to create skilled 21st century employees and citizens. They both teach time management and collaboration.
    2)      I will ensure that Project based learning is the main course, and not just the dessert, by presenting the project first for each unit before teaching the content. The students will know that through the project they will learn key topics that will allow them to complete the project. Therefore, instead of teaching the content first, I will present the content based on where they are in the project.
   3)      The section “Helping the Chefs Meet the 21st Century Goals for Students” hits this question on the nose. I believe the main things that I will need is administrative support, professional development, and collaboration with other teachers. I enjoy bouncing ideas off other teachers and using those ideas to improve my lesson or project. Having administration support will let the students know that not only do I care, but the principals also care.

   4)      When other teachers ask me about my PBL intentions, I will let them know all of the benefits. I will share with them that it helps student retain knowledge, helps students think critically, allows them to learn how to follow a process, and shows the students how what they are learning is used in the real world. My intention is to create productive and self-motivated citizens and employees.

6 comments:

  1. I agree completely with your answer to number three. In order for our students to succeed with this teaching strategy, it will need to be support and implemented throughout every content area. With administrative support, they can assure this to be happening. It is important for our students to have these real-world experiences in order to succeed in life and outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I believe the main things that I will need is administrative support, professional development, and collaboration with other teachers." I said the same thing. Unless we, as teachers, have the full support and backing from administrators on and off-site, we cannot be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another benefit of not teaching the content first is that you don't necessarily need to present information whole group. If some of the groups don't need the information you plan on presenting, they can spend more time working on their project and you could pull small groups for some targeted instruction. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Professional development will be critical if other teachers are to follow along. I'm not really sure if this can be delivered in a couple of sessions. PBL is pretty intense and it may require a financial investment by the district allowing more teachers to be part of a PBL course to demonstrate the concept and walk them through the process. Really a full day workshop is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah,
    You shared how you will begin your pbl unit with the project launch from the very beginning so students will know what they will be working towards and that will provide them with a purpose and ongoing opportunities to engage in sustained inquiry.

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete