Friday, June 30, 2017

Makisha Miller Blog #5


What I Used To Think but Now I Know

When I walked into class, I had no idea what Project Based Learning (PBL) was but with the help of Mrs. Mitchell I learned all about how PBL could benefit any classroom. Project Based Learning (PBL) is student centered learning where students learn through experience of solving open-ended questions. PBL can be used in any subject area. PBL removes the teacher from always being at the front of the classroom teaching and makes students more responsible for their learning. Teachers are more like facilitators while students are asked open-ended questions that help them to gain knowledge while working on projects.

The Profile of a South Carolina Graduate relates to PBL because they both help to get students ready for the real world. The use of PBL's will help students get used to working with others and it teaches students teamwork. PBL also teaches students to be accountable for their learning and that is a great part of the Profile of a South Carolina Graduate.  PBL and the Profile of a South Carolina Graduate work hand in hand to teach students that sometimes it takes a team in order to get things done and that sometimes two, three, or four brains are better than one. PBL and the Profile of a South Carolina Graduate work together to teach students how to be independent and responsible learners.

I really enjoyed this class! I learned so much through the collaborations and protocols we used in class. My favorite protocol was the silent protocol. I loved having to communicate with other teachers without saying a word. This protocol will be the first one I use in my class. I really want my students to be able to work together in silence and when things are crazy. Thank you so much for teaching me this week. I have never had a teacher in my teaching career with so much passion. I really loved your class!

4 comments:

  1. Amen on being accountable for your learning. The things we could do if students would just get that part. Teamwork is also crucial as being able to get along and communicate with others is a big need in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement about PBL teaching students teamwork. So many times in the real world we are asked to work with other employees. Working in teams helps build their communication skills and their ability to solve problems within a group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all but banged my head against walls to figure out how to get students to start holding themselves accountable for their own learning. I think that the use of the PBL model is structured in a way that students MUST learn to be accountable to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Makisha,
    I am so glad that you enjoyed the course and that it was beneficial in providing you with a solid knowledge base for project based learning and support for creating your own pbl unit for your students. I know your students will enjoy the real world experience of planning a vacation on a budget, applying the math skills within the unit along the way. Thank you for your kindness. I loved learning with you!


    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete