Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sarah Kate Chatel- Blog 3

Video 2- Structured Groups: Making Group-Work
1.  I think that every student can utilize their strengths to contribute to the project in a meaningful way. I always find it difficult to assess or grade how students perform their specific group roles, because I do not see every aspect of what is occurring within each group. I feel much more comfortable giving feedback to each group and having conversations to informally assess understanding and progress.
2. I enjoyed Mr. Jupp's approach to the groups by making it a conversation. He asked lots of good questions and drove students to dig deeper into their topics. He also did a wonderful job of positively encouraging students who were on the right track to continue with their thought process.
3. I think peer assessment is a wonderful aspect to group work, because if they are aware that they are being assessed by the group members they will be more likely to actively participate within the project and complete their portion of the assignment with high quality work. There is no hiding when there is peer assessment to hold them accountable.

Video 3- Group Dynamics in 3rd Grade Math
1. I was surprised to see the students excited about being drawn by a Popsicle stick. I loved watching students embrace the excitement of it and it almost seemed like they were being drawn to receive a prize!
2. I enjoyed watching her students work in groups because they were really helping one another get to the correct answers and helping teach one another within the class. I loved how each of the groups represented colleges and had that real world application for the students. I also loved the positive reinforcement of being collaborative and earning points for great team work that the class decided on!
3. Mrs. Jackson grew tremendously within her questioning. She was prompting students to explain their thoughts and process to getting the answer for their problems. I enjoyed her approach of looking deeply at the approaches of those who got the correct answer as well as those students that had to revisit due to mistakes. I think it is important to talk through mistakes in math and make them teachable moments. Overall I loved her classroom approach and style!

The world class knowledge, skills and characteristics tie in well with the PBL approach to teaching. I believe that through group work and working through applicable real world problems as a team, students are forced to work on their communication and have to collaborate with their team to come up with an end product or presentation. I am excited to immerse my classroom into project based learning and grow together.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it holds them accountable for their learning. Just like playing on a team. You do not want to be the guy who let the team down and cost them a win. You want to do your job the best you can so the whole group can benifit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have almost the same exact thoughts from video one. I love that we are sharing our thoughts, concerns and experiences with each other. It is helpful in so many ways

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I agree that it is difficult to assess student group work when we aren't right there with them every minute. It is a good thing that we aren't or else group work wouldn't have the independence and the collaboration from peers that make it an effective learning structure. Like you, I prefer to utilize informal assessments with group work such as conferences and self reflections to gauge student learning and determine need to knows.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete