Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Kimberly Trott blog 2

Kimberly Trott
The Main Course
In a “main course” project, it is the project that is the focus of the unit.  The project provides the framework for the instruction.  The PBL Essential Elements checklist is the framework for structuring the project itself.  The Essential Elements if followed remind the teacher to check for critical elements necessary for the project to more student led than teacher led.  Key features of the list that put the project at the center are the need to solve a problem, sustained inquiry, student voice in decisions about the nature of the product being produced, the material to used, reflection on the quality of the work along the way, and the ability to revise work if needed.  The public product that should be authentic and real world adds an element of “wait until you see what I’m going to do” to the project. 

Next school year I am going to make a concerted effort to do at least three units next year that are full PBL’s, with other units having elements of the skills needed to conduct a PBL unit like revising material, reflection, and critiques.  No kidding, it is a bit overwhelming.  The article says that the project PBL should deliver all of the material to the students; honestly, I am just not sure, how they will cover everything I normally do.  Maybe they do not need to know everything I normally teach. It is hard grasp that. 

The supports that will be needed are student buy in to the process.  Presentation of what goes into a PBL needs to be conveyed to the students in order for successful implementation.  Students get use to patterns in the class and if you start PBL’s too late in the year they will not be receptive to change.  Parent awareness of the projects is essential for success especially if a student is falling behind.  The most important is probably self-discipline on my part not to give up if one or all of the PBL’s, don’t seem successful at first.  Administrative support will be needed in various areas such as observations, material supplies, and help in disciplining students.  


My response to inquiries about PBL are going to be positive in order to promote a positive culture surrounding PBL.  PBL is a great tool that requires a lot of hard work and other teachers who have not been informed or trained may think it is just something old renamed in a new package.   Next year, I am to serve on the PBL committee for Dorman Freshman Campus, and it will be my goal to share the information I learned in the Furman classes with my colleagues.

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I am so excited to read that you are planning to implement at least three pbl units this year! This is encouraging and I want you to know I will support your creation and implementation of each and every one of them. I am glad that you have already identified some common roadblocks to pbl implementation and are working to address them through your planning. I also appreciate your positive outlook and your willingness to serve on the pbl committee for DFC.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete