Thursday, June 29, 2017

Sarah Kate Chatel- Blog post #4

1. I believe that protocols such as critical friends brings about thoughts and growth you yourself would not reach independently. For me going through critical friends was terrifying for the first few minutes, but it was such a wonderful experience to hear ideas and grow myself as a thinker. This protocol allows for us as teachers to listen to advice and reflect on how these suggestions can be utilized to enhance your PBL unit.
2. Openness to new ideas is the main necessity to utilizing critical friends. I see an occasional teacher that has a hard time shifting from an approach they are comfortable in. Without the desire to learn and grow the process will not be successful.
3. I could see this protocol being successful within the classroom as a way to get feedback from their peers on a project before it is due, so that students can edit their final project. I could also see this working as a brainstorming tool for project ideas or proposals. I believe that this approach would really push students to become better!
4. Two protocols I am planning on implementing within my unit are consensus protocol and gallery walk. I am excited to have students use the consensus protocol to brainstorm qualities necessary for a 21st century employee to be successful. I would like to use the gallery walk to give teacher and peer feedback to their resumes so they are able to edit and improve them before being graded.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it helps us to gather ideas that we might have never thought about before. I know we have lots of stuff going on in our brains. I have met people who have lots of answers, but I have never met anyone who has all the answers. For that reason alone, it would be silly for us to think that listening to ideas of mutually or more experienced teachers wouldn't be helpful...as long as it is understood that all are working to contribute to the improvement and success of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that students are allowed to revise work other than an essay. That is rewarding and I feel will encourage kids to work. No one wants to be a failure. We all need mutual support and this is a great way to get it. The positive comments are extremely gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I agree 100% that the benefit of the critical friends protocol is it allows you to receive feedback and ideas that are various and diverse, from people who have different experiences and backgrounds than you do. In this way we do receive ideas and perspectives that we would not have originally come up with on our own. I am thankful that you see the value in these protocols and are planning to implement them in your unit.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete