Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Mary Kennedy-Easley -- Blog #2


1.  A "main course" project refers to a project that supports and guides students to learn content and skills they will need to obtain in order to successfully complete it.  The elements are the same in both it and PBL.  The only difference is the wording and the analogy drawn between "main course" projects and "project as dessert" models of instruction.  The "main course" project refers to the project being the driving force behind the instruction.  The students learn while they solve real-world problems that are challenging, standards-based, focused, interesting, and authentic to real-world applications.  Students also learn skills like collaboration, constructive criticism, the importance of revision, and effective communication/sequencing of information in a way that pleases the intended audience during presentations.

2.  To ensure that project based learning is the main course in my classroom, I must create a learning environment that nurtures students as they immerse themselves in the processes of creating project products.  These project products must be designed to require that students go through the processes of solving problems in ways that also connect to the content they must learn to successfully explore the problem.  I feel it is an instructional method that needs to be "the norm", at least in the course it's most used in, for it to become fully successful.  Because it is "non-traditional", it will sometimes take a bit of time for all students to get used to the project based model, but due to the inherent explorations and discoveries that can be made, I think that students will enjoy and lean towards it. I also think that student choice and voice will lend to the "fun" factor that will hopefully naturally pull the students in the direction where they begin to effectively manage themselves and properly use resources to teach themselves.  With that said, I know I will need to teach  my population of students specific skills to help them find ways to independently explore problems, conduct research appropriately, use time management skills, and, depending on the student, many other skills they will need to practice to become successful PB learners.  Once those skills are learned, the project based method should become easier for students to follow as they sequentially move towards the goal of becoming independent learners...aka successful mini-adults!

3.  I have already received a good bit of support from administrators, co-workers, and mentors from the district office in the form of training, learning opportunities, field trips, and collaborative workshops.  I am grateful for these because I believe that the PBL model is one that can wield a great deal of success and enjoyable learning experiences both for the students and the teacher.  Nothing makes me more proud than seeing a student literally positively mature from an experience that I, at least, semi-created.  It's one of the reasons that I am a teacher.  If I can get more of those moments and keep my kids ENGAGED in class, SIGN ME UP!! Besides that, I would need to ensure that all students have the materials they need on a daily basis and plan accordingly.  Overall I can't complain one bit about the amount or quality of the support I have gotten so far, and I hope to see it grow instead of changing.  I feel there is a definite paradigm shift occurring in the system, but I also fear that PBL could be misused or done improperly.  Of course, if the entire school moved to the model, it would support the use of the model in my classroom, but I do not expect all teachers in my school to make the shift all at once. If it doesn't fit the teaching style of the teacher it can be ineffective and negatively impact students' learning environment.  Just like any other instructional model, it only works when done correctly and with vigilance, and when the teacher doesn't care, neither do the students.  But, like I said, that has nothing to do with model itself and everything to do with the quality of the execution of the model.

4.  I will explain to colleagues and school leadership that I plan to teach the same standards in the same order that I taught them last year, but use a different instructional model that is geared towards cooperative, group, student-led learning experiences that, in theory (because I haven't practiced it yet, not because I don't believe the evidence), will also teach important success skills that will eventually becomes tools that the student can apply to life outside of the school. Hopefully, my future self will be able to tell everyone how much fun this school year was because I truly embraced and learned how to be a successful PB instructor, consequently convincing my coworkers that PBL is really the bee's knees.

2 comments:

  1. I love your positive attitude. I think your explanation of how you are still teaching the standards just in a different way in key is helping people understand the transition better. Many people think that you are abandoning the standards when in truth you aren't. In fact, students are delving even deeper into the standards and probably learning more than they ever would with in a traditional model. The other part of it is allowing the students more accountability in making their decisions! I think you have a great outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I found myself nodding in agreement after each point you made in your second paragraph when you were writing about how you plan to implement pbl in your classroom with this current unit you are planning. It is clear that you understand the importance of sustained inquiry but also realize that your students' will need support and will benefit from targeted instruction in order to be successful in their problem solving and project creation. I can't wait to see what your students will do as a result of your belief in them and your thoughtful creation of your pbl unit of study.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete