Friday, June 30, 2017

Emily Waddill Post 5

         My thinking has really changed about the activities that I do with the students and how I will teach the math content. I have really learned the difference between PBL and just embedding projects at the end of units. When PBL is implemented correctly in the classroom the students should be learning the content through their experiences and it will be much more meaningful for them. I am excited to start the 2017-2018 school year with a PBL frame of mind. I am starting off slow and taking smaller steps, but I have a very good start from my learning experiences in this class.
          It is my hope that my PBL units will help students to develop their soft skills, as well as their knowledge of the content. The profile of a SC Graduate includes characteristics such as integrity, self-direction, interpersonal skills, work ethic, knowing how to learn, collaboration and critical thinking skills. These skills are essential in all of us and the PBL Essential Elements align perfectly with them. When students know that we care and will help them along the way to develop the skills mentioned above, I think that this will make a huge difference in their learning. In helping students see those connections between classwork and how it will impact their lives in the future they will in turn be motivated to learn the content. An idea that I have to do this year is that every time I start new content in class, I will provide students with a “reality check” with examples of how the content/skill is used in real life. I also want to challenge students to come up with more real-life examples by the end of the unit and have an ongoing list for my classes.

          Sir Ken Robinson’s statement of “treading softly on our students’ dreams” has really stuck with me. I tend to be sarcastic a lot of the time and I know that this does not always promote the classroom community, so I need to be more mindful of that. Also, it is very easy to get frustrated with a student (normally the student who does not come prepared or do their work) and so I really need to be mindful of the kinds of interactions that I have with that student and all of my other students. I need to make sure that what I say is encouraging and does not bring students down. I wish to convey that I am there for them to help them grow into citizens with all the characteristics of a SC Graduate. My experience throughout this course has made me think critically about things in my classroom and I’m looking forward to learning even more during this school year.

2 comments:

  1. I, like you, never thought about the soft skills that are needed to be successful for learning. I really appreciate the fact that PBL naturally encourages growth in soft skills. I think that starting out small to work out the kinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I am glad that this course has been beneficial to you in considering how project based learning can impact your students' understanding and applications of the math content you teach. You shared how you plan to do "reality checks" periodically throughout your unit in order for students to see how the math they are learning applies to real life and to their project. I really like this idea and believe your intentionality with this structure can help ensure successful sustained inquiry. Like you, I am looking forward to continuing our learning together this fall and I can't wait to see what budgets your students come up with as they create their budgets.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete