Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Savannah Griffith Blog Post 2


Savannah Griffith Blog Post 2

          The “main course” seems to be more teacher directed while traditional PBL seems to focus more on student choice, as well as being student directed. Bon Berger describes, “Main course” as, “the teacher covers the main course of study in the usual way, and then a short “project” is served up for dessert.”
         
           In my classroom, I plan to make PBL the main course by making units/lessons student directed from the beginning. Allowing student voice and choice so that they can truly solve these real world problems. I will also plan lessons with students in mind rather than just the standard I am trying to get them to understand. As well as allowing students to learn to work independently and take responsibility for their own work.
          
           I will need support from the students first. I will need their participation as well as willingness to try something different. I will also need the support from my principals and colleagues. I am very fortunate to work in District 6 where they value PBL and believe it will be easy to have support!
          
          We are lucky to have an awesome support system at Fairforest Middle School! I am sure colleagues will be interested and hopefully will be encouraged to try PBL in their classrooms as well! I will be happy for them to sit in and answer any questions I can!
         

          

1 comment:

  1. Hi Savannah,
    From your blog post it is clear that you understood the article's main point of the importance of embedding inquiry throughout the learning and providing students with ongoing opportunities to work on their project. I am thankful that you do have support for pbl from your colleagues and principal so you are confident in your implementation of your unit this fall.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete