Thursday, June 29, 2017

Emily Waddill Post 4

1.   I love the “critical friends” protocol and I think it is a great tool to help teachers really dive deep into their lessons. This protocol forces teachers to really think about the strategies that they’re using in class and gives ideas for how to make lessons/units even better. Getting that feedback from other professionals has made me think about things that I didn’t even think about when planning my PBL Unit and I have been grateful for every suggestion given.

2.   For teachers to make use of this protocol, there needs to be an environment where teachers are able to cooperate and work with one another. The environment needs to be open enough that everyone feels good about sharing their ideas and receiving feedback from colleagues. I have felt very welcomed already from everyone in this course and at my school, and I’m looking forward to sharing ideas and feedback.

3.   This protocol can be used for evaluating student work and providing feedback for each other. It will also give a chance for student's voices to be heard and for them to have an impact in the classroom as well as other student's work. There will have to be a lot of modeling done to ensure that students stay respectful with one another, but the set up of I like... I wonder... will really help with student phrasing.


4.   In my PBL unit I have planned to use the consensus protocol for deciding what to spend the group’s extra money and possibly for coming up with a group contract. I also plan on imbedding many times for students to reflect on daily activities and their thoughts on those activities as well as time to write about details of their project.

5 comments:

  1. "For teachers to make use of this protocol, there needs to be an environment where teachers are able to cooperate and work with one another."

    Just as we did this week! This sounds basic, but you would be surprised how many schools have teachers who form their own cliques and never interact with one another. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that everyone participating in this class has done a great job making each other feel at ease with one another and being open to ideas for improvement. I think we all get a little uneasy about exposing the work we create because of a natural fear of embarrassment or failure...at least at first... Luckily, this gets easier as we get more confident and practice ownership of our choices...and our mistakes. Like I tell my students, if we knew all this stuff already, we wouldn't need to try to learn it. The learning process is about growth and we cannot grow without improving upon something. I am also grateful for the opportunity to participate in this course. I am honestly surprised at how much I have learned in the past few days. I am even more surprised by how much I have enjoyed getting valuable feedback that will help me to be a more effective teacher. I also think that has a LOT to do with a positive classroom climate...Thanks Y'all!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,
    I am so glad that you found the critical friends protocol and our classroom community helpful to you as you created your pbl unit plan this week. Like Mary I believe this has a lot to do with the positive classroom climate that we work to create. I like how you are planning on using the Consensus Protocol with your students in your unit plan.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. The protocols are fantastic! I must confess they have been the hardest for me to grasp as far as catching on to their names. I love these but keep thinking of them as a rubric. The protocols use some time of diagram but are tool to evaluate or assess knowledge. They involve the group using soft skills like collaboration and communication. I am going to have to read up on these more to put a name to an activity and also imagine how I can use these within specific unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily! It has been so enjoyable getting to know you and being a part of the critical friends protocol. I completely agree with you that teachers have to be willing and open to working together and give one another feedback! I have enjoyed hearing from you about your ideas for myself and other teacher's project! I am so glad you are joining the FMS family!

    ReplyDelete