Thursday, June 29, 2017

Savannah Griffith Blog Post #4



Blog Post # 4 Savannah Griffith

1.      I believe protocols such as, “critical friends,” help teachers become more reflective because it opens their eyes to things that they may not see directly. I think it helps bring creativity to the classroom because it enhances the lessons, units, etc. For me it helps me realize how students may view a lesson or unit.

2.      The teacher must be willing to take ideas and criticism in order for “critical friends,” to work. We are only as successful as we allow ourselves to be. Teachers must be able to listen and consider suggestions. There needs to be a calm environment so that teachers do not feel threatened. I believe this could be a very successful tool for all teachers!

3.      This protocol could be used with students during a mock presentation. Allowing students to gain confidence while gaining ideas from their peers. I also believe this could help students think about the way they speak to other students. By phrasing sayings with I like and I wonder I think this will keep students focused rather than fussing.


4.      I used a gallery walk protocol twice in my unit plan. I believe this protocol with give students a chance to give and receive feedback. I also used peer conferencing because I feel that students would be willing to work together to help each other. I think peer conferencing can help students open up better than a teacher conference because students do not feel inferior. 

4 comments:

  1. Being able to take constructive criticism and put it to good use is something even adults struggle with. I completely agree with you that we should teach our kids how to listen and take suggestions. Lets teach them these qualities now so that they are able to apply it in the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your response to number one. Being able to bounce ideas off others always helps me think through how my plan and ideas will come to action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Savannah,
    I am glad that you found the critical friends protocol beneficial to you as a teacher. I agree with you that for this to work with teachers in a professional setting, there has to be a community based on trust and a shared purpose and belief in the process. I like how you have intentionally selected protocols that will work for your students in your art unit.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about being able to receive feedback and critiques. Sometimes it is hard to take when you have vested so much time and effort into process. If you are able to get through it and just listen, you will gain so much insight that will make your project even better. You will gain so much from the feedback!

    ReplyDelete