Thursday, June 29, 2017

Julianna Lux Blog Post 4

Protocols like "critical friends" allow teachers to assess interest level and aspects of tasks and units that others like which will likely reflect, to gather ideas outside of comfort zones, to make connections to other subject areas, and to identify additional resources.  Students, just as teachers, can gather new ideas in the planning stage and while practicing presentations; classmates could assist in troubleshooting areas of concern for the student or encourage the student if less confident about the work.  In order to accomplish this in any setting, the teacher must establish an environment of respect and support.  This isn't meant to be undermining, and I can see it heading that direction in a classroom where the teacher doesn't foster that environment.

I plan to include the Gallery Walk and Critical Friends protocols during the planning and almost-completed phase of the multimedia display portion of my unit.  Our students come to the class with varying levels of technology expertise, and adding these two protocols here may help students identify the best ways to present and confidence in those areas of pride for them.  I also plan to incorporate the Silent Debate protocol earlier in the unit as we are developing our interview questions.  I believe working with other students to come up with questions will spark ideas for additional questions to ask during interviews.

4 comments:

  1. "I also plan to incorporate the Silent Debate protocol earlier in the unit as we are developing our interview questions. I believe working with other students to come up with questions will spark ideas for additional questions to ask during interviews."

    It was a really cool idea! I had never thought of cooperation in such a way. In my mind, everyone has to be talking and moving and throwing comments out there. The Silent Debate was a really neat way to do the same thing and not drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of students coming to class with varying degrees of technological suavy skills, so do the teachers. You are right, you can use this to group students to highlight their best skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your unit is just amazing. You have incorporated so many protocols to get your students engaged in thought. I love the statement you said about one student who is confident helping another. This has happened just in our class this week with me asking you so many questions. Thank you by the way. Peer collaboration is so important to student success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julianna,
    I agree with Sarah that your unit is amazing and I can't wait to see the finished products students create as a result of the immersion in their interview process and with the support you provide as their ELA teacher. I am glad that you found the protocols for feedback helpful yourself and plan to implement them in your unit with students.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete