Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Mandy Irick Blog Post #2

1) The “main course” is a culmination of all the components of essential PBL elements. The goal for the overall project is for students to learn the material based on completion of it. Through the process, students become entrenched in the learning progression going far beyond the typical materials presented in the traditional classroom setting. The focus for both of these is that they require from the learners the willingness to think critically and analytically when approaching problems that are of importance to them. The requirements also promote students to learn how to effectively communicate with their peers and other public audiences to relay the knowledge that they have acquired and opinion develop during this continual process. The key is that everything is on a continuum that is guided by students decision making to reach an end goal while reflecting on the learning processes along the way. 2) My intentions are to make sure that I have a firm understanding in the essential components of PBL. This is one of the reasons for taking on the certification course so to better my learning and knowledge of the processes for establish a culture of PBL. By continuing researching the best practices and methodology that PBL utilizes, I feel that I can be effective in creating an environment where students are accountable for their learning. The other part to this is being committed to making this a success within my classroom. Going into this, I know there will be both successes and failures. I need to make sure that I am constantly reflecting on both of these and reaching out for peer and students critiques to make the most of this approach. 3) A strong support system is key to success when embarking on this journey. The first step I have already taken by being a part of this learning community with the PBL class. With this, I can find mentoring and suggestions readily available to help guide my decision-making. The next step is to garner the support for administration. If the administration is supportive and readily available to help, I feel that any school initiative will flourish. Having the administration provide support whether through resources or time, will make the transition easier. The other part to this is having a cooperating teacher who will support my endeavor. By allowing me to co-teach with her/him, I will be able to help nurture this culture with rich and high interest learning communities among the students the class. The last piece will be with grade level teams whether it is content or related arts. Having other area teachers supporting you with the method that you are providing to your students is so key. They can bring to life areas of the project where I may fall short. They can provide insights or an expertise that I may be lacking. 4) I feel very positive in the transition that I am making by incorporating a PBL methodology in my classroom. I want to share with others have beneficial this can be the culture of our school. By allowing both my students to share with other teachers and administrators what they are working on, it may help to allow others to see the value and overall benefit PBL provides. It can also help to quall any misconceptions that people may have about what PBL is like. Being open about the journey and process that I using in my classroom may help other want to venture into PBL.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mandy,
    I am thankful that as a literacy coach you work to provide support to your teachers through putting into practice yourself in your own classroom what structures and strategies your teachers are learning about. This provides you with the first hand knowledge and experience as well as provides teachers with current examples that they can use as possibilities in their classrooms.

    Thank you!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete