Thursday, June 29, 2017

Kimberly Trott Critical Friends

Kimberly Trott
Critical Friends: Looking at Student Work 
This was my favorite video! I want to be a teacher now. This is how I would love for student projects to be evaluated.  It would be so much more beneficial and accurate. 
1. Similar to critique and revision in PBL, this is a way for teachers to bounce ideas off of other teachers.  The teacher designing a lesson can sometimes be stuck in tunnel vision.  I also like to format of critical friends with the timing of statements so that the clock does not run forever.  Also, like most people if you know people are going to comment on your work you may step up the game.
2.  Everyone paying attention, timing and speaking rules followed, and an openness to synthesize the suggestions of others. Also a willingness of other teachers to even find value and participate.
3.  This would be fantastic for a project in which students have free reign to select a topic and then have free range at determining the best method to deliver the product.  Once they have drafted their ideas fully have them complete a Critical Friends roundtable.

4.  I am going to try the I like- I wonder two ways, as students work in class on projects and on regular material I am going to make an effort at least to get into the habit of this.  I will also try it vice-versa, in which students in this case working on projects will use one of the Collaborative work sheets to maybe spread out in the library at tables and conduct this themselves.  We will obviously have to have practiced this in class.  I think it would be great to take a student from each of the various groups to mix the pot and have them do the I like- I wonder with a new set of faces.

3 comments:

  1. I would love for teachers to evaluate projects this way as well. I gives you ideas and validation for what you know you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    Like you, I would really love if we were able to create a culture of inquiry and support with our colleagues in our different schools so that we would be able to provide each other with honest and constructive feedback on not only the creation of our pbl units, but also in the analysis of student work so we could modify our instruction to meet our students' needs.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Stuck in tunnel vision" really stood out to me. I find that we can have this problem along with our students. Critical friends is a protocol that can help with eradicating this problem. Students can experience what it is like hearing from multiple viewpoints because this something valid that will occur in real life. They have to learn from this process to be open minded.

    ReplyDelete